Do you know your child needs tiny microscopic living beings to fight off disease and live a healthy life? Well frankly speaking, I didn’t!! Being a mother of two I was a hygiene freak. And I was completely unaware of importance of good germs. It was when my younger got admitted to a hospital for a severe infection of diarrhea, I understood the power of good germs in our body. It was when I learnt and researched about the importance of different Probiotics in our health. There are many probiotics needed by our body to stay disease free. One such beneficial and good germ is Bifidobacterium infantis. It is found in fermented dairy products like yogurt.
It is a probiotic which when in-digested helps healthy growth of beneficial gut bacteria and improve different gastro-intestinal functions and helps in many infections. Bifidobacterium infantis (BI) is a sub species of Bifidobacterium longum. It is a branched, rod-shaped bacterium with gram-positive character.
Bifidobacterium Infantis 35624 is a particular strain of BI that has been found to have diverse beneficial values. It is also researched more widely than other Probiotics. BI is sensitive to antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, vancomycin, and tobramycin, hence should not be ingested while these medications are taken.
Benefits of Bifidobacterium Infantis
It is also one of the most dominant bacteria to colonies the neonatal gut. They help to make about 60% of the microbial flora of the gut. They primarily help in digestion of the essential sugar passed into the baby gut from the mother’s breast milk. Babies born in Preterm or via C-section need an external supplement of BI.
There are many benefits of BI:
Production of helpful Acids
It produces short-chained fatty acids and acetic acid in infants. Acetic acid has anti-pathogenic activities and helps in the growth of intestinal cell linings.
Production of Proteins
It promotes the production of essential proteins in neonates that help to fill up the gaps in the intestinal linings of the GI tract.
Repair and Regeneration of body cell
BI secretes folate or Vitamin B9 which helps in the production of red blood cells as well as development and repair of DNA.
Prevention from major Disease
It’s major role is in preventing the development of the fatal narcotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in babies.
- Babies having BI has also been observed to be more resistant to infection by Salmonella typhimurium (causing diarrhea) and respiratory disease-causing bacteria like Pseudomonas and rotavirus.
- Many diseases can be cured by the intake of BI Probiotics. Studies show BI supplements can help to cure celiac diseases (gluten indigestion disorder), allergic asthma, dermatitis and even diabetes.
- It is particularly helpful in curing Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), a chronic disorder causing diarrhea or constipation, intestinal muscle spasms, abdominal pain and cramps, and gas.
- It also helps in reducing inflammation in patients suffering from ulcerative colitis, psoriasis and chronic fatigue problems.
How Bifidobacterium Infantis helps in Weight loss?
“Not only for infants and kids but also for adults”
The use of B. Infantis is not restricted to kids and infants only, it has been proved to be useful in weight loss in adults.
BI helps in reducing obesity in two ways:
- They release appetite losing (satiety) hormones like GLP-1 which helps in burning calories and breakdown of fats into short chain.
- It also increases the ANGPTL4 protein level. This protein decreases the adipocyte cell size and prevents the storage of fats.
So, by limiting the fat storage in body and increasing the burning of fat BI “Kills two birds with one stone”.
This, in turn, helps to decrease the risk of diabetes by increasing the sensitivity of insulin to intake blood sugars. It also helps in lowering the cholesterol level, therefore, preventing obesity.And when taken along with smart prebiotic fibers, its functioning increases manifolds.
Food Sources of Bifidobacterium Infantis
Fermented foods like:
- Green olives, and
- Sourdough bread, all contains BI naturally, if prepared from 100% organic raw material.
The moment we use pasteurized or processed food, it is lost.
Bifidobacterium Infantis Supplements
In such cases, the role of prescriptions and supplements comes into play.
BI is patented under two brand names. The brand name Align is sold in the US and Canada whereas that of Alflorex is sold in UK, Ireland and Europe. BI 35624 was directly isolated from the epithelial tissue of the terminal ileum from a healthy human.
There are many Probiotics available in market which contains Bifidobacterium Infantis as an active ingredient, like Billion Cheers, Yogurt, etc. It is also an active ingredient of, a very popular probiotic is a lyophilized combination of live bacteria of strains of Lactobacillus species, Bifidobacterium species. It is used against many diseases like IBS. Bifidobacterium can be added externally in yogurts to increase its probiotic properties. It’s yogurts are available under many brand names in the market.